Il Grigio is made from a selection of the best Sangiovese grapes from the Chianti Classico vineyards on the San Felice estate near Siena. The vineyards are at 350/400m altitude, with mostly limestone and loam soils. The vines are trained using Guyot and Spurred Cordon methods. The must was fermented on the skins for 18-20 days at 28-30 degrees C. This was followed by malolactic fermentation in stainless steel vats. 80% of the wine was matured in Slavonian oak botte (60/90 Hl) for 18-24 months, while the remaining 20% was aged in French oak barriques. The wine then spent 6 months in bottle.
A nose of red fruit and blackberries, with spicy, savoury tobacco characteristics. The textured palate opens up to show dense rich fruit, with layers of black cherry and spice. A fine and complex red - long and savoury on the finish.
Excellent with grilled lamb, or roast duck or goose.